Do work

Do work

Socialize!



Follow Me on Pinterest View James Sopko's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Not Rowing: Mind sharpening

My life right now if very much focused on rowing.  The goal here is to qualify and fight for medals at the Olympics; focus is one of the most important elements of achieving that goal.  Though, sometimes I need to get away from it.  As an athlete, I feel you can not let the sport completely consume your life.

Some people like getting away by playing video games or watching movies.  I do watch a few movies from time to time, but challenging the mind is always something I've believed in.  I began reading a lot over the past year, attempting brain teasers and recently found a new one.

A very interesting and awesome distraction resource is itunes U.  I did not know about it until a couple of days ago, but you should check it out.  Some of the top colleges in the country have video taped courses and posted the lectures and class materials online.  You can audit a course at one of the top schools in the country (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia and UC Berkley to name a few) for free!  I'm starting with an intro to computer science class at MIT.  I know I did not do well enough in H.S. or am smart enough to attend MIT, so this is the next best option.  You may not believe me, but this is WAY better than watching Netflix between practices.

Keep the mind sharp!

Have a good one,
Jimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment