Do work

Do work

Socialize!



Follow Me on Pinterest View James Sopko's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Evolution of a Team


There are people that dispute evolution.  I don’t want to get in to a theology/science debate, but I did want to talk to you about what I call the evolution of a team.  From what I understand a team is a group of individuals that work together to accomplish one or a series of goals.  This definition is not from Webster’s or Wikipedia, but from my own head so it may not be completely accurate. 

At some point in a team’s life it begins as a group of individuals, but that is all they are.  They don’t become a team until they do 2 things, set a goal and work TOGETHER.  I have been part of many teams that have worked together to accomplish a goal.  My most memorable team was the Navy Lightweight Varsity.  We were all on the same page, working hard to get there.  Other teams that I were a part of that come to mind were on USS FORD (FFG 54).  Our goals varied, depending on where we were working on the ship, but we strove to work together.  If we did not work together, the group failed.  In all occasions I was part of the team, building together and as a result I have never really been an outside party to witnessing a team make the huge step from individuals to TEAM.  Well this past week that all changed.    

Patrick as a Plebe
My youngest brother, Patrick is a member of the Varsity Soccer Team at Navy.  He is a sophomore and this year they have had a slow start.  I have seen 3 games this season.  The first 2 games the group played more like individuals than a cohesive unit.  They did not communicate very well and did not play to their potential.  Proof of this are the results.  The first game they lost the lead with 5 seconds left and the second game they would let the other team regain all momentum after breaking it for a bit.  Honestly, it was hard to watch.  I saw these young guys struggling and I cared deeply because I could see the dejection in Patrick’s eyes.  They were lost.  Then something happened.

One of the top players on their team quit.  Skill wise, this kid was probably the best, but he did not make 
everyone else around him better and because of that they were losing as a team.  What I saw in the third game was beautiful soccer.  The Navy Soccer team was passing to open spaces, covering touch and goes and supporting each other on both ends of the field.  Not one person stood out as an individual.  Every goal had an assist and one even had two assists.  It was awesome to watch them figure it out as the game went on.  They defeated a solid team and accomplished one of their goals, playing good soccer.  The best part was the look of pride on their faces when they were leaving the field to sign autographs (Even I got an autograph).  You could tell they knew something had changed and they had made the next step. 

Being on the outside of that one was pretty cool and I hope to see it again in the future. 

Have a good one,
- Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment