Do work

Do work

Socialize!



Follow Me on Pinterest View James Sopko's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Seizing Opportunity and 1x Video


At least once in everyone’s life an opportunity shows it’s self.  I feel most successful people are there because they seized that opportunity.  They saw it and took it.  Those who do not succeed, for one reason or another, whether by choice or chance did not seize that opportunity. 

Personally, I have been very fortunate in life.  My parents raised me with certain values that have helped my brothers and I transition well in to adult life.  We were given every opportunity to succeed because my parents worked their asses off to present their children with those opportunities.  None of my brothers are screw ups (4/4 is pretty good these days).  All four of us have taken advantage of the gifts we were given and utilized them to their fullest.

Opportunity can present itself in a number of ways.  Attrition is one of them.  Whether you are in the office or on the field, there is always going to be someone above you who is leaving.  They could have been transferred to another office, been hurt during a play or just decided to quit.  Your job at that moment and time is to jump on that and attempt to insert yourself into that position.  Raise your standards for yourself and forcefully put yourself in to that new position. 

Placing yourself in that new position can be done in a number of ways.  You can suck up (not my preferred method), you can bring up past results (which may get you there but your past results have only gotten you to this point so more may be needed) or you can just raise your game (BINGO).  Step up.  Show the people above you that you get things done. 

I’ll use sport as a reference, “Remember, you miss every shot you don’t take.”  I don’t know who said that or if it is credited to one specific person, but I think it says a lot.  If you see that opportunity and you idly watch it as someone else jumps on it, then it is your own fault.  If you try and fail, that is much more noble and forgiving. 

I do know one young man who has just started taking more shots.  Believe me, it has paid off.  He has made things happen and helped his team to perform well.  He has done an excellent job of taking advantage of opportunity.  He began seizing opportunity many years ago when his older brothers would rough him up a bit when playing in the yard.  Instead of shying from it and running to Mom he embraced it and became one tough SOB. 

Hope everyone enjoyed Halloween and is ready for Thanksgiving.

- Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment